How to Bypass the IRS's Telephone Maze if You are Calling 1-800-829-1040
If you are calling 1-800-829-1040, the best time to call is either 8 A.M. or late in the day, especially on
Fridays. The line is staffed from 7 A.M. - 7 P.M. local time Monday-Friday.
- After selecting your language, DO NOT choose Option 1 "Refund", or you will be sent to an automated phone line. Choose Option 2 for "Personal Income Tax".
- Then Press 1 for "Form, Tax History, or Payment".
- Then Press 3 "For all other questions."
- Then Press 2 "For all other questions."
- When asked to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything. After it asks a second time just wait, and you will get another menu.
- Then Press 2 for Personal or Individual tax questions.
You will then be transferred you to an agent.